Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Chèrs Amis,

Richard called today to give us the news that my mother has died. We were prepared as she recently fell and broke her femur and was making a poor recovery from the operation. My Mom was 91 years old and while physicically very disabled for many years, she was bright and alert until her fall. Her positive spirit and attitude were admirable.

She did not want a service and all arrangements had been previously made so we will not be returning from France. We had discussed this eventuality with our son, Richard, and he will be dealing with what needs to be done with the help of my cousin, John.

Richard has been wonderful throughout this difficult time. He was with his grandmother during her last few days and told her all the things I would have wanted to say. It meant a tremendous amount to me that he was there even though my mother never really regained consciousness.

Our very good friends, Susan and Alan from Yorkshire, are visiting this week and it has been a great comfort to have them here.

My parents had many happy years on Gabriola Island enjoying their waterfront home. Being in this little village on the Mediterranean makes me feel very close to them.

The other day we saw a retired couple painting a railing together and they greeted us with the usual 'Bonjour messieurs, mesdames'...a very charming custom. They were obviously very happy and enjoying being together doing a simple task around the house. It reminded me of the pleasure my parents had doing similar things together and helped to make me feel at peace.