Friday, February 11, 2005

Low tech - high tech

I read an interesting article about lobster fishermen in Brazil. As is the case in most fishing industries the stocks have dwindled so it isn't economically viable for people to use large gas powered boats so they have gone back to their small sail boats that are economical to buy, maintain, and run. But they all also have a GPS sytem on board!

There are still fishermen who go out from our little village of Carqueiranne in these small, old, wooden boats that you see in the picture below.


The port of Carqueiranne.

In our first stay there in 2002 I saw a fisherman come in from our apartment and went down and bought some fish from him. I decided to paint them...my first painting in France and after I had taken Absolute Beginner Painting and wondered if I would actually paint anything. That got me started and I painted a total of 32 that year. This painting continues to mean a lot to me. BTW, we ate the fish afterward and they tasted fantastic.