Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I coulda ben a journalist...

Carol, who is a "desker" (newspaper lingo for editor...) at the Vancouver Sun gave us a tour of the newsroom...very cool! My plan to go to journalism school in Kingston changed when I met Jim so I've always been very interested in this world. Carol showed me her mailbox where the dreaded news assignments appeared when she was a reporter. The assignment that made her heart sink the most was covering the CRTC with all the legal jargon. Perhaps it's just as well I didn't become a journalist...

Although the new Van Sun building can't compare with the old Sun Tower which is one of my favourite old Vancouver buildings, the views are great and were pretty much the same views from our hotel room.

And speaking of newspapers the Waterfront Centre spoiled us rotten with loads of complimentary copies of just about anything our little hearts desired. A real treat was getting the current copy of the London Times for Sunday and Monday though this NewspaperDirect service they have. A great idea as you can get newspapers from all over the world. The copy is sent digitally and I guess the hotel prints it up. It's on 11 x 17 paper and nicely formatted so it's almost like leafing through a broadsheet.


The Suntower building


Room with a view: