Friday, October 01, 2004

“Truth or Lies”...short story by Frances Itani from the collection “Poached Egg on Toast”.

I only had time to read one story from this collecton before it was due but will put another hold on it. The story I read cracked me up! It’s about a woman with two small children who is taking a Creative Writing course and a course in Geomorphology. Here’s a bit of it.

“You women have it all ways, my Creative Writing prof says. All ways....I’ve always wanted to be a woman, he says. Have children. Write sixteen hours a day.....

Creative Writing prof reads my story aloud to class. All laugh at part about dream. Clearly, he says, this is the dream of a madwoman. All agree, even me. Don’t tell that I dreamed it two nights before story due, no time to think up fiction this week. Only reality knocks at my door.....

Mother phones. You were smart to have two, she says. Not fair to have an only child. Lonesome. Spoiled. Never learn about the opposite sex until too late. With my six, she says -- I drop phone on floor, receiver cracks. I’ll call back, I shout from above. Unplug phone.