Sunday, April 21, 2002

Something that really surprised me about my painting in France is that I painted completely different things than I thought I would. I thought I would paint endless shutters, stucco, and old stone walls. I have lots of pictures of that stuff so maybe that will eventually find its way into paintings. I found myself very impressed by the bright colours in various sports activities. We were very close to Almanarre, a famous surfboard and kite-boarding area. We were both quite fascinated by the kite-boarding where the participant flies and flips in the air at really rather amazing heights sometimes. We were very close to a cycling path along the coast (Piste Cyclable du Littoral) as well and so many of the riders were dressed in racing colours. I also was taken by the rows of brightly coloured motorcyles we saw parked everywhere. Being a complete beginner at painting, I was pleased (and surprised!) that I actually got some feeling of movement in the cycling and watersports.


Kite-boarding and sail-boarding at Almanarre


Cyclists in the south of France


Motorcycles in the harbour at St. Tropez