Wednesday, April 24, 2002

No real theme in the paintings today, other than France, of course. I so enjoyed our local Thursday morning market. The painting doesn’t quite capture the feel of it, but I did take some video footage which I will post at some point. In the next painting the yellow Renault 4 was the model we rented for our first trip to France in 1972 (it was actually white but that seemed a rather dull colour). Would you believe that we actually slept in the back cargo area (you could push the back seat frontwards) with the hatchback up and our feet sticking out resting on campstools. We spread a shower curtain over our legs to keep the dew off. This was when we couldn’t find a hotel for less than $4 a night.

Notice I’ve put it on the sidewalk as that seems to be a common place to park in France! I’ve also included a round-about a dog, and a palm tree....all very common items in the area we were. Dogs are king and are welcome in restaurants, shops, on buses, trains, etc. The last one is a combination of various old large liner advertisements with a few of my own embellishments. We became members of the small local library in Carqueiranne and I found a book on subject that had lots of these neat old advertisements. I was very attracted to the bold simple graphics.


Thursday morning market in Carqueiranne


Renault 4 on the sidewalk


A complilation of French liner advertisements