Sunday, April 22, 2018

Jane Austen Day

I have really enjoyed the Jane Austen Society meetings.  Saturday's meeting was a very special one with a speaker from Dawson College speaking about Persuasion.  An excellent presentation and then a wonderful lunch,  some fun readings from members, and a real highlight was the performance of two students from the UBC Opera School.  Wow,  they were just tremendous even if the link to Jane Austen was a bit tenuous.  We were a wonderfully appreciative audience and there was a great question and answer period.

The students were Ivy Calvert from Austin, Tx and Justin Cho from Korea.  I wonder if I might be able to brag that I saw them for free.  I love saying I saw Placido Domingo for $1.  Jim and were UBC students and we could get last minute tickets that weren't sold for a dollar as students.  Even though it was opening night, that was before opera became really trendy.

And we learned the North America Jane Austen AGM is going to be held in Victoria in four years just after Canadian Thanksgiving.  That's a really big deal.  Donna signed up to volunteer.  I'll play it by ear as we may be in Palm Springs but if not,  I will probably go.  It's going to be at The Empress.

Joan does such a wonderful job with the table decorations and I got to take the flowers home as did Donna and many people.  And Jim bought me roses while I was out so lots of blooms.


Very cool Jane Austen socks.


This was an advertiement posted in the hall of the church where the meetings are held.  This could be fun...not far from us.


Our wonderful singers,  Jason and Ivy.



Two of our members doing a reading from Persuasion.



My lovely roses that welcomed me home.  I put them in a Ricard water pitcher as I can't seem to find most of my vases.  I also can't seem to find my mixing bowls...well, lost in the shuffle with the move I guess.  It will soon be time for pastis.