Monday, December 24, 2012

Family memories

My friend, Donna, posted some of her old Christmas family photos on her blog:

http://donnasreport.blogspot.ca/2012/12/family-memories-at-this-time-of-year.html

and mentioned her father's company Christmas party for families and the wonderful presents for the kids.  My Dad worked for B.C. Electric and they had fabulous parties and presents too.  Usually the present was either the best or among the best present I received for Christmas.  Each child received the same gift according to age and gender. There always was some lovely entertainment too...jugglers, musicians, magicians.  It was quite a thrill for families like my family who didn't have very much.  And then there was the big ham that Canada Packers gave all the workers.  My mother was particularly appreciative of that!  Once the union came in,  no more hams.

Those were the days of people burning mainly coal for heat and driving home from this magical evening was almost always in pea soup type fog.  I'm sure my Dad didn't appreciate it but it was all part of the magic for me.

Grannie Cavallin, me, Dad, Craig, Mom.