Sunday, January 07, 2007

E. J. Hughes 1913 - 2007

I do love the art of E.J. Hughes and what a wonderful life to quietly paint away until the age of 93 and then go quickly without a lingering illness. Of course, my favourite is "Taylor Bay - Gabriola Island" since our summer place was just around the corner and I walked around to Taylor Bay all the time, swam there, and it was where our little boat was moored on a wharf that came after this painting was done. The wharf was just about where the boat is moored.


"Taylor Bay - Gabriola Island" by E.J. Hughes


This is an old photo of Taylor Bay just about the same perspective as the painting only
not showing as much of the Bay.

E. J. Hughes
There are a lot of examples of his work here.




Craig and I heading out fishing from the Taylor Bay wharf in 1962



My brother Craig 1945 - 1999
On the back of the photo my mother wrote:
Craig Fleming 1960 - Gabriola
A mess of grils (*small salmon) at his feet. What a catch!


Richard just before leaving for Europe in 1997 where he travelled for a while then worked in London in the computer industry.
Isn't the resemblance with my brother amazing?