Sunday, October 16, 2005

Salvage

I've been reading a very interesting book friends lent me called "London 1945" by Maureen Waller. It recounts London in 1945 with shortages and rationing etc. Citizens were even "ordered" to keep their used bus tickets so they could be used for salvage. Reading about some of the recipes and advice for making things stretch is quite amusing. Here's a tip for those of you making school lunches. Women were advised that "well-seasoned mashed potato and chopped spring onion and parsley make an excellent sandwich filling".

Reading this has inspired me to reupholster my desk chair in the spirit of London 1945. Richard was quite appalled by the duct tape I was previously using (it is his cast off chair in the first place) so I put to good use a pair of old socks my friends and family will be thrilled to see me no longer wear...

For all the excesses of the boomer generation I think we hesitate to waste things almost just as much as our parents.

Uploading pix problems again...you will have to use your imagination as to what wild socks were relegated to being desk chair arm covers!