Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Reading Alice Munro again...

This collection is in the middle of her writing career. I chose it because I think it is my favourite bookjacket of all the first editions we have of hers. We're not really into first editions but we ended up with them because she was a writer I always bought as soon as a new book came out. I'm a little surprised her first editions don't seem to have a lot of value given that she is the only Canadian to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

 Now, Harry Potter first editions seem to be worth a lot especially ones that have Joanne Rowling instead of J.K. Rowling....like up to $70,000.00 CDN. It's quite a fascinating world...the value of some books.


But, of course, it is the words inside and how they are put together that counts. I think everytime I go back to Alice Munro, I can barely believe how brilliant her stories are. I do keep trying to read Robert Thacker's biography "Alice Munro: Writing Her Lives" and maybe I'll get into it during the pandemic.  "There is always a starting point in reality," Alice Munro once replied to a question about how her stories occur to her. And the biography is very much about how events in her own life are the beginning points. It sounds pretty interesting but so far I'm always drawn back to the stories.

I wonder if she just might write one more story with a beginning point in the current pandemic. What a gift that would be to  us all. But, I know she isn't very well and she has given us so much.

Just out of interest I looked up the value of Louise Penny first editions. They don't seem to be worth much either. This is more understandable as I'm sure the print runs are very high numbers. I did buy quite a few but always gave them away and told the recipients to pass them along to people who wanted to read them.