Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Yeah....Esi Edugyan won!


I was delighted that Half-Blood Blues won...congratulations to Esi Edugyan and it was great that Nelly Furtado introduced her.

However, ...we were treated to absolute garbage in terms of quality and quantity of commercials then Esi Edugyan was cut off in her acceptance speech which obviously wasn't going to be long. This program was a complete disgrace and not worthy of anything, let alone honouring? some of our great Canadian writers.

I have watched the Giller's in the past and what I remember is the authors and their ideas were presented in a much more detailed and intelligent manner than idiotic print prefaces to their remarks and them standing looking foolish with their book in hand. Also, each novel had a thoughtful and well done dramatised scene with competent Canadian actors. I don't remember many commercials.

I've never heard of CBC Bold and hope it will disappear completely from the face of the earth if this is what it has to offer....shame on you. I'll read about the Giller winner in the next day's paper next year and won't chance on being disgusted and offended.