Sunday, May 17, 2009

Baseball and Writing by Marianne Moore

I enjoyed Kate's blog entry on why she likes Marianne Moore's poetry (she's doing her Master's thesis on it) and read some of her poetry.

I think Richard and Jim will like this one since they are big baseball fans. I've included the first verse only and the rest can be read in the link. Even I collected baseball cards in the 50's...Mickey Mantle being my favourite.




"Baseball and Writing"

Fanaticism?No.Writing is exciting
and baseball is like writing.
You can never tell with either
how it will go
or what you will do;
generating excitement--
a fever in the victim--
pitcher, catcher, fielder, batter.
Victim in what category?
Owlman watching from the press box?
To whom does it apply?
Who is excited?Might it be I?

Baseball and Writing by Marianne Moore: