Saturday, February 23, 2008

Itty Bitty Book Reviews

"Animal Dreams" by Barbara Kingsolver

I almost always enjoy her novels and this one was very enjoyable especially under the sun and palm trees.

"David Golder" by Irene Nemirovsky

As much as I liked Suite Francaise I felt this was very melodramatic and somewhat shallow. It could be the translation as well. Towards the end there was some powerful writing.

A few books I began but didn't finish. Thought I'd give Kathy Reichs another try with "Bare Bones" but just can't seem to enjoy her work. Elizabeth George, who I usually enjoy, got thrown on the "donate to Rancho Mirage Library" pile as well. The novel was "What Came Before He Shot Her" which was initially very engaging and then just went overboard. It could have been half the length I think. Alice Munro could have made it into a good long short story.