Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I had my first experience with the NHS (National Health Service) and it was quite fun really.  I was getting a little worried about this thumb so thought I should get it looked at.  Also, didn't get a very encouraging response from a pharmacist I asked.  She said I should go to Accident and Emergency immediately and that they would have to take my thumbnail off (wasn't the case).  Our B & B in Reading is very close to the Royal Berkshire Hospital so figured I'd drop in on the way home.  I had nice chats with lots of people and things weren't too backed up.  Covered for some young men who wanted to take smoke breaks. 
 
They took an xray and it wasn't broken so decided to try to let out the blood that was causing the swelling by what they called "a rather primitive method". It consisted of lighting a little coal oil lamp and heating a needle until it glowed red then pop that in my nail.  They weren't sure if it would hurt...screaming from the next cubicle didn't help but actually didn't even feel it in the end.  Blood was too clotted but let some out so the pressure subsided a little.  I think at home they would have shielded the process....a bit unnerving to watch this needle heated to glowing and see it coming towards a thumb that was very sore....!
 
However, everyone was very nice and no charge.  I really do think they should charge tourists but no complaints.
 
This was our day for bargains as we actually had a meal that cost less than at home rather than twice as much as is usual in England.  We happened on a J.D. Wetherspoon pub mainly because it had a view of the river.  We had two meals (one fish and chips and one lasagna) and two pints of Abbots ale for around 20 dollars CDN.  The food was pretty good too.  I  paid 3x for inferior  f&c in London.
 
Trying to get tickets for a Proms concert but the oneline booking is down...will try again after I post this.  We were hoping to see Measure for Measure at the Globe but not on when we're back in London.  Just about seen most of Reading.  Think I might take a train to Swindon or Chippenham this aft just for something to do.