Monday, June 14, 2004

Finally getting around to dealing with the rest of the pictures from our 2000 trip to Ireland. I was motivated to do this since friends are going to Ireland this summer. These are from Belfast and focus mainly on the part of Belfast where there is still conflict. We took a bus tour of this area and people seemed very friendly except the next day we heard that the tour bus was held up by masked men with machine guns. No one hurt but it wouldn't have been a pleasant experience. It doesn't seem like the "troubles" are completely over there yet. Belfast is really very beautiful and we liked it much better than Dublin; however, I notice I don't have any pix of Belfast other than of this area. I think it was pouring rain when we were seelng the rest of Belfast and I guess I didn't take pictures.


The famous "Peace Wall"...somehow I pictured a green hedge with flowers rather than a metal wall with barbed wire.


I did find some flowers along one part of the "wall".


While on the tour we were told that the surveillance towers would soon be a part of history as most had been taken down.

Shankill (Protestant area) and Falls (Catholic) Roads are famous for their partisian murals: