Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Yesterday I found this really cool steamer trunk at the exchange table of the Oak Bay dump. I painted the outside black and my special living room red. Amazingly there were two stickers from the White Star Line First Class which I left on and which the red background on the sticker is identical to my red! Then I turned my attention to the inside (very smelly) and ripped out all the cloth and put on my never fail stain blocker primer. Underneath the cloth and cardboard the maker of the trunk had placed comic strips of "Barney Google" by Billy DeBeck from the Philidelphia Inquirer dated 1942. Looking DeBeck up on the Internet I found out he died in 1942. Guess this trunk maker wanted to make a little memorial to him and perhaps hoping someone would find this one day. The comic strip on the lid wasn't in good shape but the one on the bottom was so I've left it there. I'm going to paint an ocean liner on the front using the one I did last year as a model.


Trunk with the outside coat of paint


comic strip