Friday, May 20, 2016

Some wonderful photos of floral displays in Vancouver from Carol today.

 I love this wildflower meadow.


And I'm a sucker for white picket fences.  One of my favourite jobs was to paint our white picket fence at our family home in Vancouver.  I believe I got $5.  A lot of money for a kid in those days.

I  just had to snag a couple of photos from Carol's blog....here are the rest.

http://mountdunbar.blogspot.ca/2016/05/just-some-pretty-flowers.html#comment-form

Funny how Carol's mother felt there was too much "abundance"  in Vancouver after her experience on the prairies.   I really missed my Vancouver mountains when we lived in Victoria.  The Olympics were often not visible but I did savour them when they did show their very special beauty  and perhaps appreciated them all the more.  They always lifted my spirits.

A colleague of mine in Victoria was from the prairies and she felt hemmed in by mountains,  even the rather distant Olympics,  and insisted her husband build her a home on the Sannich Peninsula where she could look out over the ocean without a mountain in sight and imagine the ocean to be wheat fields.  I think we are very shaped by our geography growing up.  And perhaps one reason why we love the south of France on the Mediterranean so much is that the Alpes-Maritimes are a presence.