Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A young person's view….

I asked Richard what he thought of the election:

"I'm cautiously optimistic about Canada's future. Lots of work to be done and damage to be undone. Electoral reform will be most welcome after all the recent nonsense with dog whistle campaigning and strategic voting."

I also felt encouraged by Trudeau's pledge to make politics different and I think young people will engage with a more positive message and way of doing things.  Well…we'll see.

I hadn't heard of "Dog Whistle Politics"…here's a link.
http://www.vancourier.com/opinion/dog-whistle-politics-at-play-in-canadian-election-1.2084701

I didn't realize Richard's riding was targeted by "strategic voting"….glad it didn't work:

Jody Wilson-Raybould, a prominent aboriginal leader and star candidate for the Liberal party, easily won her riding of Vancouver Granville on Monday night, despite an aggressive strategic voting campaign that endorsed the New Democrats as having the best chance in the riding.