Saturday, March 01, 2014

Latest painting



28 x 36 on plywood  (very thin plywood….)

This is based on a painting I did of the harbour and beach in Carqueiranne….the mini lighthouse on the seawall was one of the first things we saw when we went to Carqueiranne the first time to look for a place to rent while Jim was teaching in the south of France for the first time in 2002.

For the guest bedroom I want to make it my "Provence" room so the idea was to make this painting like a view out to the harbour surrounded by white shutters.   I chose the thin plywood because I don't think a canvas would have really worked as it would have stuck out too much and the plywood could be cut to the right dimensions for the shutters I bought.  Now,  the only problem is the screw eyes don't have enough thickness to really get a grip so the wire can hold up the painting.

 So,  another problem to solve.  It was a fiddle to paint on this surface and also something this big as it didn't really fit on my easel.