Monday, August 05, 2013

Pride Parade

I must confess I have been somewhat prejudicial about the Pride Parade.  Since it's in our area we've seen glimpses and the clips on TV have made me feel that it's not really something I would be interested in and was somewhat confused about the over the top exhibitionism.

This next story is what is important to me about gay rights and pride...the first  couples getting married after midnight when the Gay Marriage Bill passed in Minnesota.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-75-most-unforgettable-moments-from-minnesotas-first-day

But when 600,000 people stand in the hot sun for four hours to watch something it probably needs a closer look.  And then there was the practical aspect of it being hard to "get out of Dodge" with the road closures around here and better to be a part of all the noise and hullabaloo than being annoyed by afar.

So, I  went to watch it for about an hour and I came away a convert.  It was impossible not to be caught up in the exuberance and somehow the fact that every shape, size, and type of person participated,  often dressed and acting outlandishly made the whole thing feel very inclusive and affirming.

And you got to love the fact that such a wide variety of organizations and businesses feel "Be there or be square".

So,  I get it...Happy Pride!




 Lots of free stuff being given away....I scored a bracelet!


Video from The Sun:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Video+Vancouver+Pride+Parade+2013/8748728/story.html