Thursday, January 31, 2013

Joe Fortes featured on a Canada Post stamp

Great front page in the Sun with the story of Joe Fortes being featured on a stamp being issued this Friday.  He taught my mom to swim and saved numerous urchins of her ilk from drowning in English Bay.  Lots of kids like my mom sent off to spend the day at a young age without any supervision.  I always remember being so shocked at my mom telling me the story of their mother giving them two nickels for carfare to go to English Bay and she always  spent the home carfare  nickel on chips and told the bus driver she "lost their carfare in the sand" because honesty was so important in our family...to the point I took back a jawbreaker to the corner store because he had given me 16 instead of 15 jawbreaker for 5 cents.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Canada+Post+stamps+Vancouver+legend+Fortes/7895964/story.html