Friday, April 27, 2012

Expo 67

I always enjoy the Vancouver Sun feature of looking back to what happened on the current day.  Today,  April 27, was when Expo 67 opened in 1967 of course.   Kerry and I went back on the train (a three day trip) because it was half the price of flying and stayed for a week.  The pavillion I remember the most was the Czechoslovakia pavillion and I was blown away by the chrystal particularly.  I picked this up in a google search:

"Czechoslovakia's pavilion, a world of enchantment where art, technology and industry was marvelously interwoven, was perhaps the most popular national pavilion at Expo. Its exhibits were sophisticated and presented brilliant and delightful audio-visual techniques where technology became art."

I was also very impressed with the Habitat 67 and I see you can rent or purchase a unit.
http://www.habitat67.com/origine_en_.html

This is a rather interesting blog post on it from someone who visited.
http://www.pagehalffull.com/humanyms/2005/09/habitat-67/