Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Jack Knox shares the nastiest letters he received in 2011, criticizing his views, grammar and forehead

I always get a laugh out of Jack Knox and especially love his reactions to critical letters over the past year. Could we all react so amusingly to criticism?

A bit of a taste and then you can read the full column with the link.

"And a Victoria one: "Your column today was the meanest bunch of diatribe I have read in some time ... you should stick to your socalled wit and leave politics to some who are more objective. I've been thinking of cancelling my prescription to your leftist paper for some time, especially since this election began, but your column today just convinced me to do so. Stephen Harper has a brilliant brain, and he's honest and a world leader."

Thanks, Mum, can I still come to supper?

Not to be outdone was a Green supporter who didn't like my observation that his party's solution to the Colwood Crawl involved flying to work on magic carpets woven from hemp. "Today I realize I do not appreciate your not so subtle discounts and swipes at others which is mistakenly associated with intelligence."

Some were so angry that they typed in capital letters, the keyboard equivalent of a purple-faced holler. When Occupy protesters announced plans to march in the Santa CIaus Parade, I wrote "Why, couldn't they find a bunny to beat? What are they going to do next, water-board the Dalai Lama?" This prompted a reply from someone who balked at the bunny-beating bit. "I KNOW ABOUT FREEDOM OF SPEECH BUT DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT SOME MAY ACTUALLY TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY .... THAT WAS NOT AMUSING AT ALL AND I FEEL YOU SHOULD APOLOGIZE." Presumably she was OK with water-boarding his holiness."


Jack Knox shares the nastiest letters he received in 2011, criticizing his views, grammar and forehead