Monday, November 08, 2010

A pretty exhausting time...

Jim is now giving his talk for the Architect's Club and I am relaxing with a cup of tea and posting to my blog. Jetlag just hit me too hard to attend tonight but Jim seemed in pretty good form and I'm sure it will go very well. The Art Worker's Guild where it is being held is just a 5 minute walk from where we are staying so very convenient. The pub we went to the first day we arrived is just around the corner from it!

We began today with a meeting with Jennie, the archivist, at the Athenaeum Club where Huxley was a member and he used various architectural features in the building in various works of his. Jennie was very interested to know this and it was great for Jim to see what Huxley was basing his descriptions on.

It's quite the clubhouse and I felt like I should have been wearing a long trailing gown when I went up the grand staircase. Jennie had retrieved Huxley's membership application and Jim and her were very interested that Edward Elgar, the composer, was one of the proposers for his membership. Jim was familiar with most of the other names.
I was more interested in an upcoming dinner with fine wines for 115 pounds per person (completely sold out and a long waiting list apparently)

I would have loved to have climbed up the staircase ladder in the library but Jennie sneaked us in as it was as this particular library was for "Members Only".

Then on to the BMA (British Medical Association) for lunch with a fellow whose father had a Huxley connection.

Quite a fascinating day but I did find it rather tiring and am looking forward to having a free day tomorrow but cold, wind, and rain are predicted so I'm not sure what we'll end up doing. Sat and Sun were really very mild and no rain so we did rather luck in.