Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Merci beaucoup "La Stupenda"

Dame Joan Sutherland... 7 November 1926 – 10 October 2010



My first brush with opera was hearing a recording of Joan Sutherland with a university friend (Doug McCallum) who was an opera fanatic. Jim and I were more interested in Bob Dylan at the time. I believe the recording was called "The Art of Bel Canto". Between her beautiful voice and our friend's enthusiasm, we became hooked. He had seen her perform with Marilyn Horne in "Norma" in 1963 in Vancouver.

It was because of Doug we learned about students being able to get unsold tickets (this was before opera became trendy and sold out) to the opera for a dollar. And, believe it or not, we saw Placido Domingo singing in Wagner's "The Flying Dutchman" in the late 60's for a dollar. After we had moved to Victoria we came in to Vancouver to see Joan Sutherland sing in "The Daughter of the Regiment". Her husband, Richard Bonynge, was the Artistic Director of the Vancouver Opera from 1974-77.

But probably the most fantastic experiences I had with opera was seeing Leontyne Price sing in recital on two occasions in Vancouver. I even went backstage and lined up to talk to her. I don't think I've ever had quite a handshake like that and she seemed willing to talk for as long as you wanted to. No one got brushed off quickly. She impressed me as a very classy lady.



So, thank you, Doug, and Dame Joan for opening up those experiences for me.

Yeah...well, a few short years in Vancouver and wonderful opera experiences...looking forward to more when we take up permanent residence there very soon.

To give some credit to Victoria, it was thrilling to hear the unknown at that time, Barbara Livingston, from Port Alberni, sing Richard Margison, very known and headlined, absolutely off the stage. It was the final performance...I think he just gave up or was trying to save his voice. She certainly wasn't that night and impressed everyone tremendously.