Thursday, August 26, 2010

Another day in Vancouver....


Very neat effect of silouettes walking back from dinner.


Flame thrower on English Bay...he's been there most nights.


Donair cooking...reminds me so much of Paris!


My Brooks Brothers purchases for Jim. The chinos are "British Tan"...seems appropriate since he became a British citizen recently.


Ebi Prawn Mayo for lunch...didn't quite know what it was but apparently a specialty...wonderful bar-b-qed prawn in a great mayo sauce.

I began by meeting Richard at the Art Gallery to see the exhibit from the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. Excellent drawings of women by the impressionists. Neat to see as I haven't ever focused on the drawings when I've been at my favourite art gallery in the world. Pretty hard to draw yourself away from those wonderful paintings. I almost wept from the passion and beauty of the Van Gogh's.

musee d'orsay van gogh - Google Search

Then to Brooks Brothers to buy some duds for Jim. Richard scored a tie since he's been such a great help and lots of dirty work coming up when he comes over to help. Richard was going to show me the transit app on my iPhone but catching a cab seemed a better idea.

Grabbed this great tasting Ebi prawn mayo for lunch. Then chatted to the manager about upgrading some things in the apartment. Apparently most people customize. So I'll be buying better fixtures for the bathroom and having it repainted that cool green that I fairly recently had the basement bathroom painted. Then, "Mary's Red" for one wall in the living room. So, I will have my wonderful red on one wall (all red wouldn't work) and we'll get an electric fireplace with a white mantle...should look great.

Went down to Denman and got a haircut from a really fun young Vietnamese woman telling me about her trials and tribulation learning salsa. We had a lot of laughs and the price was half what I pay in Victoria. Then to get some extra keys cut from a great Yugoslavian woman who told me about all the services in the mall there underneath the Coast Plaza. We're somewhat familiar with it as tourist since we've stayed in the hotel so know the wine store, Shoppers, and No Frills grocery. But there are dentists, medical clinic (great doctor apparently who might take you after he's seen you a few time according to her), massage, physio, insurance, lawyer, travel office with great deals posted, etc.

Jim came home rather tired from his golf game...great course but rather hilly. So, we had to revive ourselves with beer then headed to Denman to have a Lamb Donair with pint for $9.50. Loads of lamb and veggies so a big dinner and for lunch you could split it ($6.50 for just the Donair) Not sure we'll ever cook again....
Dodged the lineups for ice cream, watched the flame thrower for a while, listened to some accordianists who were taking turns playing, then admired the great silouettes walking home.

Jim said he missed a great silouette shot because I didn't give him the camera quick enough...so he'll just have to learn how to take a photo with his iPhone!

Back home today for the dreaded task of preparing our house for sale and all the hassle of selling.

p.s. If I mention race it's only because I've always loved the fact that you sit at English Bay and hear all these languages and see all these people from different places....maybe we won't even have to travel!