Sunday, February 07, 2010

Rainy day program yesterday

The desert got quite a bit of well needed rain yesterday so we took advantage of that to see "A Single Man" which was playing at the grand old Camelot movie theatre here. We were very impressed with the movie and with Colin Firth's tour de force performance.

And then we had a super evening with Erna and Marvin and their friends, Carol and Larry back at our old stomping grounds of Canyon Sands.

Having been in Don Bachardy's house on the beach in Santa Monica (Jim was photographing some photos he had of Huxley that Bernfried wanted for the Huxley conference in Pasadena)and knowing that area so well we were pleased to have seen this on the big screen because it was visually quite wonderful.

I'm glad Bachardy liked the film since some of the gay community aren't so positive apparently. His comments:

"Into this melee steps the renowned artist Don Bachardy, Isherwood’s surviving partner, who has become a vigorous defender of Ford and his film. “My advice to Tom Ford was the same advice Chris [Isherwood] gave to young screenwriters adapting books,” says Bachardy, who has a cameo in A Single Man and a credit as creative consultant.

“He always advised them to make it their own, to not try to reproduce the book in movie form. He had my backing to make it his own and that’s what he did. I’m just so glad I liked the movie. I was dreading seeing the film because I liked Tom Ford so much I knew I couldn’t lie to him. What a relief that screening was, to be able to tell him with real enthusiasm how good it is.”

Tom Ford was right about Isherwood - Times Online



This sketch by Bachardy of Huxley was chosen for the poster for the conference.