Sunday, May 25, 2008

A poem for today

When I was in Houston at Rice University I read through a publication called the Texas Observer and really liked this poem by Marian Aitches who teaches at the University of Texas at San Antonio.

I wanted a photo of Bougainvillea and this painting by Sonya Terpening called "Bourgainvillea" came up on a google search. Of course the blue volets reminded me of France and I can never resist cereablue shutters or volets and when I saw that she lives in Grapevine, Texas....well, obviously it was a perfect fit!

BOUGAINVILLEA

I have just learned that Arabs
call ou Mejnoona-
crazy woman in love
or woman in crazy love
which makes good sense
any way you say it.

Now when I watch the news
I will look for you
in the drama of war-
since they have dreamed a word
I know you are there somewhere
bounding up the wall
of a woman's bedroom oasis
in the madness of men.

You are bright pink or red or vivid orange
so unless you have burned in war's embrace
you will be visible
if I look hard enough,
a blazing sign that we still live
in a world where women fall in love
and flowers recall their craziness.