Saturday, November 12, 2005

Postscript to Amsterdam

Postscript:

Just for fun I googled "Dorli Huvers" as I couldn't remember Eveline's last name except that it began with an "R". Lo and behold the first entry that came up was a notation about a book Dorli Huvers and Eveline Renes had translated together! It's called "Shanghai Baby" and was an erotic book written in China in 2000, subsequently banned and 40,000 copies publicly burned. All of which seems to have made it a cult hit in China and Europe. Too funny. Eveline appears to have translated quite a few books...mostly more mundane things like cookbooks. I think we'll try to track her down through her publisher. It could be fun to be in contact again.

P.P.S. I notice our Victoria library has two copies. I might take a look just to see what motivated all the fuss.