Friday, September 23, 2005

How it all began...

Richard got me doing this blog by explaining "blogging" was a new and different way of writing. This was when I was rather frustrated I couldn't write that novel I had always thought I would write when I was retired. I hated every minute sitting staring at that blank page when I was trying to do that whereas I find doing this blog tremendous fun. Writing doesn't seem a chore when you're doing it in little bits and don't feel you have to write anything particularly strange or startling.

I've recently printed up all my blog entries and it's interesting for me to look back at them. I'm glad I have them in that format as the online archive is rather annoying to read since it's done by week. And I realize that it all adds up to quite a bit of writing in the end and is a record of our travels and things we've been doing...some of which I've already forgotten!

So I thought it would be a good idea to include from time to time what I'm going to call "Family Snapshots"...remembrances of people and things in the past. Writing a "Family History" would seem daunting and pretentious somehow; but I'm sure blogging these stories will be fun and in the end there will be a record that I'm sure will be fun to read for me and our family in the years to come. In the process of writing these I find I'm starting to remember things I had "forgotten".

I'll start tomorrow with the first one.