Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Family Snapshot - my grandmother, Phoebe. Part 2

I have quite a few things that belonged to her including a gold pocket watch, silver dressing set, napkin rings, her opera glasses, canasta playing cards, silver locket, sterling flatware, etc. It was very important to have these things. One needed to “keep up appearances” but they struggled as well. It must have been difficult for them to acquire these "necessities" along with buying a violin for my father and paying for lessons so he could have the possibility of becoming a musician.

This side of the family were prairie wheat farmers (some still are) and my father’s family couldn’t make a go of farming in Saskatchewan so moved to have a farm in the lower mainland but that didn’t work out either. My grandfather eventually gave up farming and became a salesman for Singer Sewing Machines. I remember my father telling me he had to shoot his dog because the cows chased the dog into the barn and a dog who couldn't earn his keep coudn't be kept. According to his father, since it was his dog he had to shoot it. That must have been a difficult thing for a gentle soul.

I treasure the napkin rings the most as we have names or initials of four generations on them now. My mother came up with this idea and I was thrilled to have my name on my grandmother’s ring. If I have a granddaughter her name will join ours.


Some of my grandmother's things.