Saturday, October 29, 2016

From The Good Life France...I was surprised by this.


Bonjour
Well it’s nearly Halloween in France and this year more than ever this quirky event seems to have been taken to heart by the French. I can remember a few years ago, you wouldn’t even know it was happening but now every shop seems to be decked out with festive spider webs and talking pumpkins. I think a lot of it is due to TV and American shows like NCIS which are hugely popular in France!
In my little village we’re not quite at the trick or treat stage but it can only be a matter of time until the kids brave the rain and the muddy paths to knock on doors. Quite what my 88 year old neighbour M-T will make of that I don’t know. I’m pretty sure she has no idea that Halloween is widely celebrated as a festive occasion in much of the world. She does have a black and white TV, but she only watches the news or programmes that feature the British Royal Family whom she adores. Halloween to her is the night before La Toussaint, All Saints Day, which is a time to remember friends and loved ones who are no longer with us.
Every year the local churchyards are a riot of colour as friends and family of the dearly departed take pots of chrysanthemums to place in memory. This year I’ll be taking a pot to my local church to place on the tomb of a lone British soldier killed in WWI whose last resting place is in my village.
I’ll also keep a bowl of bon bons by the door – just in case…
With best wishes and bisous from France
Bon Weekend and Happy Halloween!
Janine
Editor