Thursday, September 19, 2013

A day with teachers....

I began the day having a swim in the Aquatic Centre.  I quite enjoy it there now as it is huge and the roof is glass so you see the blue sky...not withstanding that is was voted one of the ugliest buildings in town and will crumble in an earthquake according to yesterday's paper (not something I worry about).

It doesn't really look too bad with the autumn trees.  I think the idea was to make it fit into the landscape but it ended up being a big brown blob on the landscape.

At one end of the pool a swim instructor was teaching three adult ladies to swim.  I was rather interested in this as when I was teaching swimming to put myself through university I taught  the "Scared Stiff" class for adults.  I really enjoyed getting these folks to finally be able to swim.  And these three ladies got floating for the first time and they were all so thrilled!  Great to see.

Then my retired teachers bookclub in the afternoon....a really nice group of ladies and we all enjoyed "Water for Elephants".  I'm now reading the last of the trilogy of "Old Filth" called "Old Friends".  The book club had also read Old Filth as one of their selections and enjoyed it.