Saturday, May 25, 2013

Amazing progress today but we're both tired.

We unpacked and got rid of all the boxes (around 200) except for the two picture boxes...whew!   Is beginning to look like home and we're very pleased to have taken our dining room furniture.  We took everything that was in the dining room and it's all providing great storage and we also took the corner cabinet that was in our living room.  It is fitting in great and more great storage.   That was my parents' cabinet and I'm just about to dig our my father violin and put it on it.  My mom's china all survived and looks great.  I know "brown" furniture isn't in these days but there are a lot of memories here.  And Don Curling's parents Victrola cabinet....so glad we brought it all.

Was going to post some photos but once again they aren't there even though they are there....!

Here now.

You can see a bit of my art studio...quite a large space.


 Mom's china...from her "hope chest"...lots of sacrifices to buy this as a lowly telephone operator.  We visited the factory in Worcester when we were there.  The pattern is "The Duchess".  Funnily enough my mom met a woman who hand painted the finishing touches on this pattern.  I'm sure she was making even less money.  Women working for B.C. Tel did get a union eventually.  My mom had moved on to being a receptionist at Burnaby General and I'm very proud to say that she was instrumental in getting a union for the office workers there and was elected their first shop steward!

 My wonderful father's violin.   We played duets at Christmas time....about the only time I ever enjoyed playing the piano!


Here's my desk area just in-between the living and dining room.  We made a bit of a divider with two bookcases back to back.   Two large one bedrooms were put together to make this space and it wouldn't suit everyone but it's perfect for us.