Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Jody Paterson's CUSO gig in Honduras

 Jody playing her accordion in the Honduras.


 I think many readers of the Times-Colonist in Victoria have really enjoyed Jody Paterson's columns over the years.  Last year she mentioned a blog she created writing a haiku to capture her day's activity.  I found the idea quite interesting and began following the blog.  Through this blog I found out about her doing a CUSO tour of duty in the Honduras and I've now been following her "A Closer Look" blog where she is now writing about that experience.

I must say I really admire her for doing this.  I certainly haven't ever felt I could do something like this.  It's also interesting to read about all the roadblocks in actually accomplishing something.   I'm sure Jody will be successful because of her tenacity but it does make one wonder how many people are trying to do good works in the developing world who won't be very successful in accomplishing much even given how much they have to offer.

I've posted links to the two blogs I mention and here's a sample I particularly liked on her  recent "breakthrough".  I can see why her new "name" worked so well...it involves humour and she demonstrated she admired something in the culture....the beautiful sound of Spanish names.  

"Here at the Comision de Accion Social Menonita, my tactic has been to make myself useful.
 It's a strange thing to be trying to do communications work in a country, culture and language you barely understand, but I can type fast in any language and that skill won me some Brownie points early on. Everybody can use a good typist now and then. I can also lug big heavy things around (helping poor communities in Honduras involves a striking amount of lugging big heavy things around, whether it's tins of food or bricks for a new cooking stove). And I can take photos. Lots and lots of photos. My little camera has been an amazing ice-breaker both at work and in the streets, as people just don't get much opportunity to have their photo taken here.
I've put major effort into improving my Spanish, too. When we did our Cuso International training back in Ottawa last December, the Cuso reps rightly told us that just because you speak the language doesn't mean you understand a country's culture. True enough, but you can't possibly access the culture without the language. Without a shared language, you're always going to be standing outside the group wondering what the heck they're all talking about, and the last one anyone wants to try to strike up a conversation with.
But the real breakthrough came last week, when I complained to one of my young co-workers that my name didn't have the same musical flow that all of their names had, and that I needed a Spanish name. She decided I would be Yolanda Macarena Rosa de Fuentes from that point on.
Within what seemed like minutes, everyone in the office was joking around with me about my new name. Someone just has to call out "Yolanda!" and the whole group starts laughing - with me, not at me, I'm happy to say.
We went on a group outing to nearby hot springs last night and the same co-worker decided my spouse needed a Spanish name, too. So he's Mr. Pancho now.
We laughed and laughed. I think it means we've arrived."



Jody's Daily Haiku

A Closer Look: Jody Paterson