Friday, June 10, 2011

Courtesy

I came across a rather amazing display of courtesy the other day while waiting to get some routine blood tests. It was very crowded and there was no where to sit but a young man got up immediately and gave me his seat. And this happened with everyone over the age of 55 even though no one who entered while I was there had a cane, walker, or any visible impairment. Young people, male and female, immediately gave up their seat. Wow...it made my day to see that!

I was rather surprised to read this account about discourtesy in Italy. Our experience was the opposite. When we asked directions, people often walked us part way to make sure we were in the right direction, a charming young server translated the entire menu for me when he realized I didn't speak or read Italian. Well, yes, we did get jostled in Florence but that was more because the streets are rather narrow and there are loads of tourists.

The Idler: An Unfortunate Account Concerning Italy's "Hospitality" to Travelers

When everyone was doing Europe in the 60's and 70's, people often avoided France because of the reputation of the French for being unhelpful and impatient with tourists. To the point that the government of France actually had a campaign encouraging its citizens to be helpful and friendly to tourists. This situation has changed and I think it's probably because the French travel more and have experience being lost and confused in a foreign place. I agree with Monique that the campaign probably wasn't effective...the French are more likely to do the opposite of what they are told.