Friday, June 03, 2011

Blindspots

I think most countries have "blindspots" and I think France's acceptance of sexual harassment and worse especially when powerful men are the perpetrators is one. Tim posted this article on Facebook and I liked it a lot because as well as being critical it also pointed out all the wonderful things about France. However, I will still continue to love France and the French and I suspect the author, Katha Pollitt, feels the same despite the "Dear John" letter.

The Nation: Your Movies Were Boring Anyway, France : NPR


But I think I must point out one of Canada's blindspots and that is the acceptance of the brutality in our national game of hockey. I'm loving these playoff games and will be thrilled if the Canucks win. Not quite sure why I became a hockey fan overnight since I don't remember watching a game with any interest before. I guess that's why I didn't realize how brutal it was.

I had a bit of a heads up on this after a conversation with a young couple we got talking to while having lunch in Cassis, France. Soccer and the World Cup became a topic of conversation then hockey was mentioned. The fellow's girlfriend knew nothing about the game so the man began to explain it to her and describe the brutality. The woman started looking at us rather strangely as if to say, "Gee, they seemed like a nice older couple but they come from a country that has this brutal game as a national sport."

Yes...our blind spot, but hey, "GO CANUCKS GO"!


All legal hits in Canada's national game. I posted this YouTube clip for anyone reading who isn't familiar with hockey.

But let's end on a positive note...market day in Carqueiranne when EVERYONE is happy!


Market Day in Carqueiranne.