Saturday, June 12, 2010

Le Grand Aioli



"Cooking is humour-let's not take ourselves too seriously and make dishes of thirty ingredients, 'a batterie de cuisine' with two days preparation. If a chicken falls off the counter, pick it up; if the cake cracks, frost it."
- Mireille Guiliano (French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook)

The gorgeous weather yesterday put me in mind of a provence dish called Le Grand Aioli. It is typically a cold dish of various boiled vegetables (usually carrots, potatoes, and green beans, boiled fish (normally, desalted salt cod), and boiled eggs served with the aioli sauce.

Of course it lends itself to anything and I would make it with salmon and spot prawns and whatever veggies are fresh and in season. I must make this a summer specialty since it can all be prepared in advance. I'm surprised I haven't thought of doing this before!