Monday, January 28, 2008

A letter from Charlie

We heard the sad news yesterday that Susan and Alan's beloved cat, Charlie, had died. When they were visiting us last year in Palm Springs, the neighbour who was looking after Charlie sent regular emails "from Charlie" recounting his antics when they were away. We all enjoyed these letters very much.

Dear Susan and Alan,

It must have been quite a shock to find me in that field but I want you to know that I didn't suffer.

I'm in a very nice place now and have a large fluffy cloud to sleep on with a sunbeam always shining on me. You know how much I loved lying on your laps in the sunshine after our work in the garden...me looking for birds and you looking for weeds. I must admit I never could quite understand your fascination with weeds when birds are so much more interesting!

By the way, some of the birds I caught live in my neighbourhood here and we've become good friends. They aren't as bird brained as people think and we have some very interesting chats! Susan, you would enjoy Tweety as he is very well read in the classics and often went to Haworth to visit the Bronte Parsonage. And Alan, he even knows quite a bit about science. He was explaining the physics of flight to me the other day and it was quite fascinating but I did nod off...as you know I was wont to do.

I do miss you both very much and all the fun we had together. What luck to have had such special owners who appreciated my sense of humour! Please try not to be too sad and remember all our good times.

Love,

Charlie