Saturday, June 02, 2007

Off to Paris today on the Eurostar

The time has just flown and I can hardly believe we've been two weeks in London. Jim has had a very successful research trip highlighted yesterday by some finds at the BFI (British Film Institute) that he wasn't expecting. The other day he spent a dreary day at the Colindale Newspaper Library and didn't get any thing he was looking for so it was great to end on a high note.

I forgot my camera yesterday so no photos and while it was kind of nice not to be taking pictures I did end up in Charing Cross, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Sq, Chinatown (they have some pedestrian malls there now)and Shaftsbury Ave so lots of photo opportunities.

I started the day on the Southbank again as I wanted to see the Anthony Gormley "Blinding Light" exhibition...me and everyone else. I think every school kid was given an assignment to go during half term. I had booked a timed ticket online (the day before we decided not to queue for an hour) so I got in fairly quickly and I must say I think he deserves his reputation as the exhibits were quite amazing...huge installations and even one extending out over London. From the outdoor viewing areas you spot various male statues on building in the area and beyond. I think one of the school assignments was to count the number!

The downside was the "cloud" exhibit was having problems with the condensation not draining properly that day so it was closed and janitors were mopping up. They got it working but by now there was over an hour wait. Also, another interesting "cube" exhibit took only two people at a time and again a huge wait. My knees can't take that sort of thing these days. Lucky Jim wasn't with me as he would have been standing in line for me!

The day before Jim and I went into the BFI Mediatechque on the Southbank and managed to get a viewing area and had loads of fun looking at old British made movies and shows (bits of them since we just had an hour). We saw the first ever Alice in Wonderland made (1903)...absolutely charming. Cecil Hepworth shot mainly outdoors and family, neighbourhood children (for the "cards"), and people working in the office as actors. Also, a really interesting and well done war propaganda film with the screen play by Graham Greene. And a very funny Maggie Smith doing an Alan Bennett "Talking Heads"...(something about among the lentils...I bet you know this one, Susan and Alan, it might even be on the tape you gave us...it did seem a bit familiar)

We went for a walk after dinner last night and ended up in this very trendy area in Knightsbridge with loads of chi chi boutiques, bars, and restaurants. Really very close to us but we hadn't discovered it...not really our thing anyway but it was fun to see all the action on a Friday night. Mostly young people...the women in very uncomfortable looking shoes...one poor thing had given up and was walking in her stocking feet and carrying her shoes, another hailed down a taxi in desperation and hobbled to it. Glad I don't have to do that stuff anymore...we're enjoying getting our senior's discounts!

I see the EU is at it again...now trying to regulate the amount of noise permitted at concerts. Seems like a full program of Wagner won't cut it anymore...will have to through in some quiet Mozart.