Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My Latest Painting

I'm not that happy with this one but got tired of fiddling with it. I was very attracted to the simple campanile, the blue roof, and the simple blue and yellow stained glass windows of the chapel. It seemed a bit stark so I decided to put in some of my favourite trees in the south of France like the umbrella pine, mimosa, cypress, and palm. I think these are too prominent...should have been in the background perhaps. Ah well...it does bring back memories of this wonderful chapel and I enjoy looking at it on my wall. It's amazingly difficult to recreate these seemingly simple designs that Matisse appears to create so effortlessly...of course, I guess that's what genius is all about.




Matisse Chapel in Vence (Chapelle du Rosaire)
14 x 18 acrylic on canvas
Oct/06