Monday, October 30, 2006

Itty Bitty Book Review: Persepolis

"Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood" by Marjane Satrapi

I have just finished reading my first graphic novel and I was very impressed with the story and the drawings. Richard put me onto this one. (He's reading it in a bookclub he started at Technicolor. He even got the company to create a library with bookclub choices and supply goodies at their meetings...way to go Richard!)

It's written and illustrated by an Iranian woman who fled to Austria as a 14 yr. old and is now living in Paris. It tells of her childhood experience of growing up in Iran during the end of the regime of the Shah and the Islamic Revolution. Even though the story is rather grim she manages to incorporate a lot of humour and whimsy. There is a sequel now called Persepolis 2 which I look forward to reading. Very worth a look!


Pantheon Graphic Novels