Monday, July 31, 2006

Leonard Cohen & Henri Matisse

After seeing the wonderful film (I'm Your Man) of Leonard Cohen's work lately, I've been listening to his music and also bought his new collection of poetry, "The Book of Longing" which I'm enjoying. I came across this super edition of his poem "Dance Me to the End of Love" which has paintings by Henri Matisse.

I've included a few pages here. I'm very attracted to the simplicity of Matisse and especially to his paper cut out phase. He began to do these when he was too ill to paint. Amazing stuff.

Coincidentally, when I found this in the library I had been working out a painting in my mind that would include the Matisse's Chapelle of the Rosary in Vence especially the blue roof and very simple campanile, tiled roofs of the village, and the Mediterranean in the distance. I have tried to do these hilltop villages before without success so am curious to see if I can make it work this time.