Friday, May 26, 2006

Itty Bitty Book Reviews

"Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden

A pretty amazing novel and certainly Boyden is someone to watch. Loosely based on the real-life WW I Ojibwa hero Francis Pegahamagabow who was a famous sniper in WW I. Wasn't quite ready for another WW 1 horror novel but I picked it up on a 7 day fast read and was totally engaged by it. Our bookclub heard Boyden read a passage from the novel earlier in the year and that whetted my appetite.

"Girl with the Botticelli Face" by Bill Valgardson

A very disappointing novel after having been quite impressed by some of his short stories. He came to our bookclub meeting and we all enjoyed chatting with him but I did find it interesting that he did 40 drafts of his excellent short story "Bloodflowers" but wrote this novel in 33 days without doing any revisions...I think that tells the tale.