Friday, May 05, 2017

Seeing another movie in a movie theatre...

Perhaps La La Land got us going to movie theatres again and also I really wanted to see Maudie on the big screen.   It was playing at International Villages so perfect...great to get free parking downtown.  We really enjoyed it.  A rather amazing film given it's really just rather simple dialogue but it really worked for us somehow.

I thought I had a book on Maud Lewis but I couldn't find it.  Perhaps it was a calendar.  What I do have is this wonderful candle from Mary which always has a treasured place in any home we have.  Mary bought an original Maud Lewis quite a few years ago.  She has quite an eye for naive art.  Mary,  you know if you hadn't encouraged me so much when I first started painting I wouldn't have continued and had all that pleasure.  Thank you again,  dear friend!

The candle is an open square and takes a tea light...looks wonderful at night and lasts forever of course.



On the back of the candle.


Since I was taking these photos outside for the light,  it seemed appropriate to take one of my little cactus bowl that suffered months of neglect,  snow,  and everything else Vancouver had to offer this winter.   The resilience of cacti seemed appropriate with a post on Maud Lewis.


It looks like we'll be seeing a few more movies since there are three (or coming soon)  at International Villages that we are interested in.  One is "A Quiet Passion" which is about Emily Dickinson and another is a Ken Loach film called "I Daniel Blake".   We loved Loach's "Kes" and this one looks equally good.   Today,  there was a preview of "Paris Can Wait".   How could we resist all that scenery and food of France...a must see for us!