Thursday, May 11, 2017

My first SFU class yesterday

I really enjoyed my class yesterday.  I had heard a lot about Graham Forst as a teacher (his wife is Judith Forst,  opera singer) and he lives up to the billing.  I also was interested in the topic even though I've studied a lot of this stuff already,   the mix of word and music is great and it makes for a great review and pulling of things together.  

From Reason to Passion:  The Romantic Movement in Word and Music.


I went a few stops further than I should have on the bus.  The route has changed so that the bus goes down Pender instead of Hastings now.  I had given myself lots of time and it turned out to be a real bonus as I passed The Paper Hound bookshop.  I love this place!  

I always enjoy looking at the dollhouse...lots of rooms with lots of books.



On other visits I assumed this "Poetry is better than Cigarettes"  machine was a piece of memorabilia and didn't actually work but it does!  So,  I got a poem and also a won a free book of poetry....very cool!




A little paper box comes out sort of like a pack of cigarettes.



You open it up and there is a poem.



And then the red tag that said I won a free book of poetry.  I think everyone wins.  Some tourists saw me doing this and then did it themselves and won a book too.



"Transmitter and Receiver" by Raoul Fernandes.  The collection won a B.C. Book Prize and the poetry looks quite interesting.  It was published in 2015.



And of course I had to buy a book bag and it is already part of my collection.  I don't think they had them when I visited before.  It's great to see a bookstore making a go of it.



And then to top off a great day,  we went to see Reid Jamieson at The Sylvia.  We really enjoy him and I see he has a number of albums on Apple Music so some are in my library already.
And we ran into one of our beach friends too and had a nice chat.



http://www.reidjamieson.com