Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I loved this photo my cousin, John, posted on his blog.

I love everything about this photo...the view out the window,  the violinist and how he is framed by the window panes,  the greys and whites and bit of blue sky,  the red lifebuoy,   the black jacket,  the rich colour of wood the violin,  the fact that the bow may have been made on Gabriola Island where my parents had a summer place and where we spent our honeymoon almost 49 years ago.

November 18th, 2016 — He played on the upper deck of the Queen of Coquitlam all the way from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay on today’s 3pm sailing. He’s not Joshua Bell but he is very good. No one who went up onto the windy cold deck didn’t stop and listen for at least a little while. I didn’t get a chance to ask who, what, why, but the story I like to imagine is that he was returning from Gabriola Island having just bought a new bow from ex Edmonton Journal photographer now bow maker extraordinaire Mike Vann and couldn’t wait to try it out on his way home.
- Photo by John Denniston