Monday, September 05, 2016

Quote by Iris Murdoch

I loved the novels of Iris Murdoch.  After being introduced to her (forget which novel I began with),  I immediately went to Ivy's Bookstore in Oak Bay (which is still there amazingly) and bought every novel she had by her,  then started to buy her new releases in hardback.  Ivy's was a wonderful place run by "Ivy" who could be rather intimidating for a a 24 year old which I was at the time.  I believe she made some snarky comment like "Obsessive, are we? " I'm not really into rereading but I might just reread one of her novels one of these days.

I do agree very much with the quote!

"One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats."  - Iris Murdoch

I was interested to read this article on Ivy's Bookstore celebrating 50 years in business.   I did know some of this stuff was going on but would have been way too intimidated to insert myself into these discussions.   Any young person like myself probably would have been thrown out.

http://bcbooklook.com/2014/06/09/a-bookstore-named-ivys-celebrates-50-years/