Thursday, March 10, 2016

Treasures

My Canyon Sands bookclub is a treasure.  I will miss the ladies and our wonderful coordinator,  Kathy.  She comes up with just the greatest ideas for discussion and always has lots of materials.  We met yesterday and I think we all agreed it was probably the best yet.   We were to talk about a memoir we had read and also to think about the memoir genre.  Also,  we were to write a six word autobiography for ourselves.  Of course,  Kathy provided examples and materials for both.

I talked about "My Life in France"  by Julia Child.  What she did was so amazing since she arrived in Paris and didn't speak French,  cook,  or know anything about the country.  Also,  she was 6'2" tall so would have been a rather odd figure amongst the petit women in black dresses in Paris.

My six word autobiography is:

shy, wild, centered, explore, create, enjoy

Kathy said she was going go protest when she heard "shy" but then she heard "wild"...

I was looking on my shelves for something to read and noticed "Four Seasons in Rome" by Anthony Doerr.    I remember buying this at a book sale last year but didn't recognize that he was the author of "All the Light You Cannot See" as I wasn't familiar with him then.  It just sounded like a fun book to read.  It's about the year he spent with his wife and new twins in Rome,  Italy, as  fellow for the American Academy of Arts and Letters in Rome.  He had won a prize to spend a year writing there and the book he is writing is "All the Light..."

So,  another treasure!